Everyone knows (and should practice!) the three R’s: Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle. In fact, the Zoo has been named the Business Recycler of the Year three times by the Recycling Task Force of Hillsborough County.
But what about the two U’s?
Here at the Zoo, we are a non-profit, and take to heart the three R’s and U or Upcycling. We firmly believe that one’s man’s trash is another man’s treasure, which is what Upcycling is all about. Upcycling takes an item and reuses that item for an entirely different purposes. For example, we take plastic bottles and make them into puzzle feeders for the primates. We also use cardboard egg cartons and phone books as parrot toys!
Here are some ways YOU can help:
- Use a reusable water bottle. One of the best ways to keep disposable water bottles out of the landfill is not to use them!
- Create a compost bin to keep yard waste out of the landfills. As a bonus, it creates a natural fertilizer.
- Create a neighborhood collection of recyclable items such as old and broken electronics. Find out how to recycle these here.
- Recycle used batteries. Find your local collection site here.
- Collect and/or donate used books, furniture and clothing.