Guest Engagement Ambassadors
Now accepting applications for Spring 2018!
Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo is currently seeking enthusiastic and motivational individuals interested in animals and conservation!
Guest Engagement Ambassadors play an important role in advancing the Zoo’s mission of “creating unforgettable natural connections.” They devote their time enhancing guest experiences by engaging and educating visitors of all ages. Our Guest Engagement Ambassadors do this by supporting Zoo-wide Conservation Stations, acting as exhibit interpreters, using biofacts to engage guests, and answering visitor questions.
Active Guest Engagement Ambassadors receive a non-transferable Zoo Membership, free or discounted tickets to other Florida attractions, and discounts on Zoo offerings and experiences. Additionally, Guest Engagement Ambassadors have access to continuing education classes, "insider information," unique animal related experiences, and opportunities to connect with other volunteers and staff.
Guest Engagement Ambassador Program Requirements
- Must be a minimum of 18 years of age.
- Must be reliable, hardworking and possess strong leadership skills.
- Must be enthusiastic and passionate about animals and conservation.
- Must be willing and able to regularly and positively engage guests in the Zoo in support of our mission.
- Successfully complete a background screening.
- Show proof of health insurance coverage. (As volunteers, Guest Engagement Ambassadors are not covered by the Zoo benefit plans or works compensation coverage.)
- Sign off on policy packet with release.
Guest Engagement Ambassador Program Expectations
- After acceptance, each Guest Engagement Ambassador must complete all training and shadowing sessions that cover interpretation, Zoo history, conservation, biology, and ecology. Training sessions are ongoing and are held once a week on either Wednesdays or Saturdays. Wednesday training is held from 2 p.m.- 6 p.m. Saturday training is held from 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.. For Spring 2018, classes start in March.
- By the completion of your training, demonstrate the ability to enhance guest experiences through accurate and engaging interpretation at various exhibits and programs throughout the Zoo.
- Commit to 96 hours annually, or 8 hours a month, of educational volunteering.
- Successfully complete all tasks and assignments.
- Attend Education Team monthly meetings. Meetings are held during the first full week of the month on Wednesdays from 4:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. or Saturdays from 10:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Application Process & Details
- Apply online at Tampa’s Lowry Park Zoo Career Center. Applications for the Spring 2018 class are due by 5 p.m. on January 31.
- A representative of Tampa’s Lowry Park Zoo will contact those who have applied by February 5, 2018 and invite candidates to attend a mandatory Group Interview Session.
- Conditional acceptance into the Program will be communicated in March 2018. If conditionally approved to proceed, candidates will undergo a background check at their own expense. The cost for this is typically $25.00, but some jurisdictions may charge additional fees.
- Upon final acceptance into the Program, a non-refundable fee of $25.00 is assessed to cover a uniform, name badge, and training materials. Thereafter, the Program carries an annual dues requirement of $15 annually to offset program support costs.
If the fees associated with participation will cause you financial hardship, you may ask to be considered for sponsorship. Please contact Arinn Bolin at firstname.lastname@example.org for details on how to apply.
Interested in learning more?
Attend an information session hosted at Tampa’s Lowry Park Zoo. Upcoming sessions are scheduled for Wednesday, January 10 at 4:30 p.m, or Saturday, January 20 at 10:30 a.m. Space is limited, so please reserve your spot using the Information Session Reservation button.